Monday, January 10, 2011

The biopsy results are in

Today my wait was finally over as the biopsy results are in. Assuming that the doctor obtained a representative sample during the procedure (and as I unfortunately know all too well, this could be an erroneous assumption), the news is good. The pathologist says the tissue shows only benign changes. I vaguely remember the nurse who called me saying something about "ductal stroma" and "hyperplasia" but with my chemo-battered brain's short term memory problems, I'm not sure until I see a copy of the written report. In any case, apparently the pathologist saw no signs of cancer in the sample, which is definitely a good thing.

Nonetheless, I am only guardedly optimistic, as I've heard this kind of thing before and it was a false negative back then. So I am still contemplating having a prophylactic mastectomy on the right side. I just don't know how many more false alarms and unnecessary biopsies I can take. Having long, thick needles shoved into very sensitive body parts just isn't that much fun for me, and neither is waiting for the biopsy.

But at least there is no urgent news for further surgery, and no other treatment imminent. I am very, very grateful for that!

2 comments:

Noelle said...

that's great news! i can understand thinking about the prophylactic mastectomy - since you've been through a lot of ups and downs! for now, though, give yourself some time to celebrate this good news.

MKsb said...

Having no urgent crises is a good thing! We love you and support you!!