Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Yipee, this may really be the last TNBC-related surgery!

The news is all good. This really may be my eighth, and final final TNBC-related surgery. The nipple-sparing mastectomy part of the surgery went well, as did the immediate reconstruction. So this time around, I woke up with an even chest, not a terribly lopsided one. Hooray!

This time around, I also insisted on better pain control, which I eventually received. On the upside, I have no cramping and very little pain this time around. There is a downside, though, as the better pain meds make me pretty nauseous so that despite a mix of anti-nausea meds, I have not yet been able to keep down any food. I'm waiting for breakfast this morning and hoping that today's attempt at consuming food and actually metabolizing it will be more successful than yesterday's.

Yesterday afternoon I go up already and sat in a chair for a while. Since last night I've been walking to the bathroom (with a nurse present, for safety) when I needed to. I'm progressing well on that front and plan to go cruising the hallways today to become officially ambulatory.

The big goal is to be allowed to go home tonight. Other than my nausea, I am progressing well towards that goal, but unless I manage to keep down food, they will not let me go. So keep your fingers crossed...

No comments: