Saturday, April 18, 2009

Back home again!

It's still cumbersome for me to type, since they put the IV in the back of my right hand. So this post will be shortish. However, I wanted to let all of you know that surgery went well and that I'm back home again.

Yay, back in the comforts of home. It feels so much better than being in the hospital...

The surgery itself went pretty well. I had requested -- and received! -- my favorite anesthesiologist, Dr. A, who did an excellent job putting me to sleep throughout it all. The surgeons also did a fine job, even if not everything went quite as expected there. The good news is that Dr. R. could do a sentinel node biopsy -- even if I hated that he had to inject the blue radioactive dye BEFORE Dr. A. had put me to sleep. Yikes -- but it wasn't as bad as I had feared. Better yet, a preliminary test showed that node to be cancer-free, which is excellent. We just hope that the final pathology report (due in about a week) will agree.

Nonetheless, the oncological surgeon Dr. R was careful and took out more tissue than anticipated, which meant that my plastic surgeon/boob man Dr. K had a harder job. He did put in the tissue expander, but did not inflate it with saline at all. That is to follow next Friday, when I go for my follow-up (and hopefully have my drainage tube removed). So I'm pretty lop-sided for right now and facing the most arduous reconstruction route -- and the one I had *so* hoped to avoid... But oh well, I guess at this point it doesn't matter any more, as I need to get used to needlesticks and surgery one way or another. So consider me an amazon-in-progress...

I got up and walked around yesterday. Turns out being young and fit helps with that sort of thing. Today I did even better, walked some more, sucked the air out of that lung training thingy you get after surgery, and bravely refused to ask for any more morphine and demanded solid food instead. Well, my strategy paid off, as they let me go back home this afternoon.

Tried to blog earlier from the hospital (thanks to my spiffy new netbook!), but the IV port in my right hand made that almost impossible. The thumb, index and middle fingers on that hand are still swollen and a little tingly numb, but at least all sharp objects are now removed from my body, which is a good thing, as far as I am concerned!

When I got home, the mailman had brought me several nice things, including the eagerly-awaited skins for my spiffy new netbook, and an even more important letter from the president of my company announcing my promotion effective September 1, 2009!!! So today has been a good day!

Anyway, I am gradually getting used to my new amazon self and working on getting my snarkiness back. I'm sure I'll further improve on both counts as my wounds heal.

Well, I'm officially typed out now and will go rest. I'll post again tomorrow.

No comments: