Friday, April 24, 2009

Down with the drain!

What a relief! I went to Dr. K, my boob man today, for my second post-op appointment. He took out a stitch, but more importantly, he deemed that I was no longer 'weeping' enough. No, he didn't mean that I'm not crying enough (is there actually such a thing as "enough crying"???), but he was referring to my wound drainage. I was under the magic limit of 30 ml of drainage a day, which meant that there is no reason to keep the drain in place. Yipeeeee! So a mere week after surgery, he removed the drain.  DH's hand (which I insisted on holding at that point in time, although he seriously feared I might break it) survived unscathed.

I cracked up the Physician's assistant when I told him about my port-a-boob that I fashioned out of the drainage bulb. When I was seated in the waiting area, Dr. K's secretary J came by, saw me, and ran over to hug me. They're all such sweethearts at that office -- which is a good thing, as I will be going there a LOT. Next Friday I'll go again to get "pumped up" for the first time. I'm curious to see how that will feel, and hope that it won't reactivate those cramps. I am quite happy that these nasty spasms have been mostly absent the past few days...

After the Dr.'s visit, my mom and I went to a neat clothing store across the street that we had spotted driving in. Turns out they had tons of stuff at very reasonable price, so we entertained ourselves in there a while to celebrate that without the drain, I can move that much more freely. It was great fun, but before too long I got really tired again and we headed home. 

In the afternoon, I held virtual office hours to catch up with some work stuff, and a few folks stopped by to say hallo, which was nice. In the evening, DH actually came home early (!) and we went for nice walk on the beach promenade. Not to worry -- I was actually REASONABLE! We still have wheelchair that we rented for the week, so my mom and DH took turns pushing me around as I enjoyed the sea breeze and the doggie ambled about and sniffed exciting stuff. We had a fun family trip to the beach!

Now I'm tired, of course, but it's been a really sunny, nice and happy day. I'm healing well, which takes me close to the next steps: a round of in vitro to freeze embies, and then the dreaded chemo that I need to get to pronto. But first things first: rest, and then I'll tackle another day!

No comments: