Friday, April 17, 2009

Musings on the morning of my mastectomy

Well, my big day is here. Isn't it a beautiful day for a mastectomy? Actually, I am not yet sure whether it is a good or a bad thing that it is so sunny and spring-like outside ...

In any case, the day I have been both waiting for and fearing is here. I'm about to become a true amazon. Didn't get much sleep last night, but that was expected. When I did sleep, however, I dreamt weird stuff. Like I accidentally ate something and they had to cancel my surgery. Is my subconscious trying to tell me something here???

Don't worry, I resisted the subconscious temptation. I only ate stuff in my dreams. Took the doggie out for a goodbye walk before K, mom, and I head off for the hospital. Just couldn't bear the sight or smell of food, since I have to fast, obviously.

So, a few last minute preparations, and we'll be off to the surgery to have the deed done. Disease is bad, and what is diseased has to go. It's the *only* way forward... But I tell you, it ain't easy. So I'll go now, try to rally my inner lipstick together with the inner amazon -- to try and match the outer amazon I'm about to become.

Thanks for all the prayers, good thoughts, etc. you've been sending my way. Please keep sending them, as I need them right now as my old life is about to end and my new life as an amazon is about to start!!!

1 comment:

Noelle said...

I'm not sure if the time of your surgery, but most likely now you're off in dreamland... perhaps hallucinating that you're having some more food. I'm sending healthy and relaxed thoughts your way, and focused and on top of things thoughts to your surgeons, sleep guy, and other support staff.