Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Like clockwork

It's Tuesday, and right on schedule I am starting to feel better. Even if the severity of symptoms isn't that predictable, it appears that the timing is fairly foreseeable. Although I can feel that this last round took a greater toll on me than previous ones, both my nausea and my spirits are starting to improve. 

This morning I was so tired that I could have kept sleeping. But I willed myself to get up and take out the dog. I felt very weak, but it was good to be out walking. In order to keep from falling asleep, I spent the morning watching documentaries on Netflix, but by 11 I was so tired that I decided it was time for a little nap. Well, my "nap" ended up lasting three whole hours, but I awoke refreshed, albeit with the Neulasta pain starting to affect my joints and bones. It's not bad -- just enough to make me feel old and arthritic. Maybe I'll take some Alleve for it tomorrow, but for today I did not want to stress out my stomach with medications. Actually, I am starting to get thoroughly tired of pills and other medications, as they seem to be the ones that keep getting me into trouble. Seems I'm always trying to balance one side effect against another. 

So for right now, I have sworn off the pills (at least until the next round of chemo, or until the bone pain gets to be too annoying  -- whichever comes first) and rededicated myself to more walking. This evening, DH, the doggie and I went on another walk together. It wasn't the longest walk we've taken, but since I still feel a bit more fragile than usual I didn't want to overdo it. And after all, every little bit counts. 

Since I had napped enough in the daytime, I even managed to find the energy to make dinner tonight. At times, the smell bothered me, but when it all done I liked it well enough that I ate way more than I thought I could. Yet another small victory. DH and I ended the day with a movie night, enjoying a film we'd been meaning to catch at the theater but never did. For my limited ambition these days, I would certainly call today a success.

Ah, getting better is such a good feeling! I even laid down in the back yard today just to watch the clouds drift by for a while. I am really enjoying stealing little moments like that and just being again, rather than feeling miserable. If on top of it all, I can get a good night's rest out of this day as well, then I will be a very happy camper...

2 comments:

M said...

Sleep well!

Daria said...

It really is a juggling act ...