Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Looking good, feeling better

I had a busy day yesterday, as I first attended an ACS-sponsored "Look good feel better" workshop, and then went to my boob man to get topped off with another 50 ml. Although I was really tired by the end of the day, the workshop was nice and helpful, and the topping off successful. 

The workshops are based upon the premise that teaching women how to use makeup to restore a more healthful appearance is going to lift their spirits and make them feel better about being sick. Personally, I think they are right. It is a free program during which a volunteer (with helpers) teaches makeup tricks, and talks a bit about wigs, scarves, and other headcoverings. Participants even receive a bag of cosmetics to try out the new tricks on themselves. My goodie bag was quite impressive, with products from Clinique, Chanel, Lancome, and more. 

The instructor was nice, as well, but somehow he was a bit stressed out, as only one of his usual helpers had appeared. So he seemed to rush through everything, although he repeated it if necessary. It was a very nice and instructive afternoon, even if I wish he had spent some more time on scarves and how to tie them. 

The workshop made me realize that I should have some makeup tools that I do not yet possess. Since I had some time before my boob man appointment, I decided to stop by a department store and do some retail therapy. With the missing items thus procured, I went to the boob man, who added another 50 ml to my foob, bringing me up to 400 ml total. Probably I will require one more 50 ml fill, or potentially two, depending on what I want to do on the other side. Yipee, getting to full expansion size (500 ml)!

It was another hot and humid day, so I was exhausted by the time I made it back home. I am simply not up to such outings any more, which is quite sad. When I was in the hospital, my CBC showed anemia. So after the fourth round, it finally got me. I am grateful, however, that it took me four rounds to be as anemic as most women are after two. 

As you can see, I had lots of things for which I am grateful yesterday. My plans for today and tomorrow include a visit from a friend, some work that needs to be done before the next round, and other than that lots of rest as I try to weather the hot and humid conditions with only minimal air conditioning. Yes, I know, we were going to get a split AC system installed, but I didn't have to energy to research contractors, and DH was too busy taking care of my more immediate needs. So nothing got done. Oh well, someday...

2 comments:

FreezingM said...

This really should have occurred to my brain-dead brain earlier -- any day that you want freezing cold basement temperatures, feel free to come over! Bring pooch and borrow the couch or bed. I wear socks and a sweatshirt cause it gets too cold down here...

Me :) said...

Our prayers are with you for tomorrow's 1st round of taxol, and all the meds that go with it. You have been added to the prayer list in the Council of Churches (my mom is a member)!!