Thursday, July 2, 2009

Round Three!

As I am writing this, I am once again sitting in a recliner at the Cancer Center with the first round of saline going into my veins. This time, the needle going into the port hurt quite a bit more than it previously had. Also, the nurse (a new one, not my usual nurse L) said that the port moved when she tried to access it. The stupid thing had been bothering me the past two days, as it had been hurting for no apparent reasons. Sometimes when I'd lift my arm, sometimes when I didn't even think I had moved. I couldn't sleep on that side last night, either, as it felt uncomfortable. So I am left with the vague feeling that something is funky about the port -- and hoping that it will not affect port function. After all, the poison cocktail they will shortly inject into my body will do very serious damage if it leaks into tissues. It MUST NEVER be injected into anything but the bloodstream, as it as a cell poison! So let's all keep our fingers crossed...

I think I'll watch some Netflix now, to take my mind off the port issue and the poisons to come. The treatment room was once again running late, so I have already read three quarters of a little booklet on "Senior Moments" -- so I'll feel less bad about my chemo-brain induced memory lapses. In the meantime, DH  is once again setting next to me. This time, he's keeping himself entertained by playing with his latest gadget, an iPod touch. Boys & toys...

Luckily, it appears that the port is working. The nurse just finished pushing in my adriamycin as I savored my Klondike bars, and now the cytoxan is gradually dripping in. Then I'll get a chaser of saline, as well as a heparin flush and chemo round three will be done. Take that, TNBC!!!

More later when I'm back home.

Update:

It's past nine p.m. and I'm at home resting. For some reason, this third round of AC has wiped me out more than the previous ones. Cumulative effects, perhaps? So I'm tired (although the decadron keeps me up), and teetering on the edge of nausea. I didn't even really want to eat dinner, which could have been a consequence of eating one and a half Klondike bars this afternoon, plus some pretzels, and chugging down half a cup of decaf and half a yoghurt drink. Oh well, I forced myself to eat a bit (some of the yummy unstuffed artichoke A. made for me), which should help. I just feel very fragile this time around, much more so than for the first two rounds. But it'll get better. I've just got to get some rest.

Plus, this round should have kicked some more cancer butt! And that is a very, very, very good thing. All of you little poison molecules, please course all throughout my body and seek out those nasty little cancer cells. When you find them, have no mercy -- just kill them, kill them good. Because I'm mad at that cancer and I want it dead. It can never, ever come back. So seek it out, my good poison, and let the cancer know that it is not welcome here... Ha, how's that for fighting spirit?!

1 comment:

MKB said...

Fight Fight Fight!!!!! And then rest from your battles, while the good poison continues to fight!!

Furry Mr. B. wants to know if he can have a nickname, too - he feels left out. :-) Maybe Flicker (Foot-licker), or Orangepaw, or Scratchy, or Starman says "not-Bo" (which needs a really long explanation!)

We love you!!