Thursday, July 16, 2009

No more AC!!!

Well, it's done, over with, finito. I am officially done with my fourth and final round of the AC part of my chemotherapy! The port worked just fine. Now I 'just' need to ride out the aftereffects of this last poisoning and I'll be ready to move on to Taxol. Yipee! This means that I am essentially halfway done. Sort of like being on top of the mountain, looking down, knowing that it's all downhill from there -- but in a good sort of way. As soon as I feel up to it, I'll have to have a little party, even if it's just DH and me. But I have a feeling it'll be a week or so before I'm up to it. 

I was so tired today as I didn't sleep well last night. I never really fully woke up until they gave me the decadron. Now I'm still tired of course, but also wired because I'm full of steroids. The nurse said that the day before the first Taxol treatment I'll need to take FIVE decadrons (right now they give me three the day of the treatment). I cannot even imagine how wired I'll be on those...

The main thing is that this particular part of my chemo journey is almost over. I won't call it over entirely until I'm done dealing with the side effects of all the lovely chemicals they pushed into my body today. Oh, did I mention that they will need to do a full chem panel before each Taxol treatment? Today, the nurse drew the blood for that through my port during my regular treatment. But normally, they don't do that as blood values change too much after treatment. So I'll need to make an extra trip in to have blood drawn before each chemo. Given the thrombosis in my 'good' arm and the generally deplorable state of my veins, however, I will need to make sure that the chemo nurses draw the blood by accessing my port. They will need quite a bit, and I doubt my veins would yield as much, even if successfully poked. Ah, each type of poisoning has its own challenges...

Well, I'm tired, so this is my entry for today. I think I'll spend the rest of the evening just lounging and watching Netflix or doing some similarly mindless things. Chemo makes me kind of foggy, so I'm really no good for more than mindless things. Well, maybe I'll manage to pet the doggie on the side if he's lucky. Come to think of it, this, too, would probably fall into the category of mindless activities. So I'll resign myself to mindless activities to pass the time, and hope that the medications will manage to keep the nausea at bay without upsetting my GI system too much.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats on being done with AC!!! That's a good milestone to celebrate, as soon as you feel up to it. For now, just relax and ride out the cycle. Pet your dog, it's good for both of you. :>)