Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Almost there...

So tomorrow is the big day when they are supposed to put my mediport to its first use. It's healed in quite nicely overall, and the scar isn't as thick and scary as it first was. So watch out chemo, here I come. 

Overall, I felt better today and less sick, which is a good thing given that they'll poison me tomorrow. DH is taking the day off to accompany me to my first "cocktail hour." The particular cocktail my poison man has ordered for me tomorrow consists of AC, i.e. the chemotherapy drugs Adriamycin and and Cytoxan. The former, which apparently is bright red, may damage my heart, which is why it is sometimes nicknamed the "red devil," while the latter is going to make my hair fall out, probably within the next two weeks. Both will make me nauseous and do other funky stuff to me, which I'll be delicate enough not to mention. The advantages, however, of these potent poisons are that they attack rapidly dividing cells, such as the TNBC cells that may still be floating about my body. Adriamycin is going to kill them by preventing cells from making or repairing their DNA, while the latter will keep cells from replicating. I very much like the idea of killing the cancer within. This is a battle after all, and one that I plan to win. So you go get those nasty little cancer cells my poisonous friends!!!

I am a little sad that my mom will not be here with me when they first poison my cancer within. But she had to fly back home today. We took her to the airport tonight. But after three months, she really needed to go back. So now it's just DH, me, and the dog again. Almost like in the olden days... just a bit sicker. But that, too, shall pass!

1 comment:

Ken and Michelle said...

You are absolutely in our thoughts and prayers today!! You are strong and you will win!!!!

Huge hugs, MnKnB