Monday, June 22, 2009

Just another foggy Monday

Seems like the Monday after chemo is the day my brain gets all foggy and the nausea comes back. Funny how that happens. Well, it wasn't that pleasant, but I made it through the day. Apparently, taking the ondansetron yesterday wasn't such a smart move. I may not have understood the nurse's directions completely, or maybe she didn't explain it clearly enough, but that drug is the last drug I should take when everything else has failed. In other words, when they told me Friday to "alternate" between the reglan and the ondansetron, they might have served me better by saying: "take the reglan first, and if that doesn't help any more, take the ondansetron." But alas, I did not benefit from such clarity of expression -- and ended up with more side effects than I had hoped (thanks for the hint, Daria, I've learned my lesson now!). 

But tomorrow will be a better day, as I gradually learn the ins and outs of chemo. I am sure that there is much more to learn about how to best cope with the chemical onslaught and keep on functioning. Yet despite it all, I managed to actually cook and serve dinner tonight. These days, that's not something I can take for granted any more, so it feels like an achievement of sorts. Cancer sure is giving me a newfound appreciation and gratitude for the little things in life. 

Tonight I actually feel tired enough to make it without the ativan. The dexamethasone must be wearing off, yipee. So I'll try to get a decent night's sleep without chemical help and give my body a chance to recover from all the meds I've been throwing at it. After all, this entry reads more like something a pharmacist would write than something that comes out of my mouth... Yikes!

No comments: