Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Are we there yet?

My slow recovery continues. I keep getting the weirdest sensations, which either caused by the chemo port, or by the strange worries in my head. I woke up bathed in sweat several times last night because I couldn't breathe properly. The surgeries force me to sleep on my back for most of the time (and I'm normally a side sleeper) and between the drugs, my allergies (which are acting up right now like nobody's business), and my paranoia, I seem to have developed some sleep apnea. With more allergy meds in me today, I'm hoping the night will be more restful, though. 

Still, I keep feeling weird, kinda out of it, even though I've weaned myself off the vicodin. I should also have the anesthesia out of my system by now. And still, I have episodes of feeling lightheaded and weird, and the odd sensation that my pupils are dilating at different speeds in the left and right eye. When I went to the grocery store today and tried picking a can off a low shelf, I got dizzy and lightheaded and felt as though there was too much blood rushing to my head.On top of it, a bunch of veins in my hand are nice, painful, and thrombotic by now, making me wonder what the chemo port is doing to my subclavian vein. So the short of the story is, it's probably all in my head...and I'm just making a slow recovery from that last round of surgeries.

So I remind myself: those thrombi will dissolve eventually with no ill long-term effects; that chemo port will work just fine, delivering dangerous drugs efficiently and safely; these weird sensations are really just recovery pains that will dissipate soon enough. Are we there yet? Not quite, but I'll get there eventually. Tomorrow is another day...

No comments: