Friday, June 12, 2009

Fighting Song

I haven't posted in a few days, as there was really nothing much new to write about. I've been feeling pretty good, although my energy levels are still low and I don't feel like tackling the many things I should be doing around the house. So I've just been taking it easy, laying low, and pretty much hiding from the world, which felt quite luxurious actually. 

In the meantime, some of the typical chemo side effects have slowly reared their head, though. All of my mucous membranes have started to dry out considerably. My eyes have been so dry that I have had to use a special gel to keep them properly lubricated. My mouth is also starting to get dry and irritated. It just comes with the territory, I suppose. But it reminded me that in less than a week, I am due for another round of chemo.

For some reason, this made me think that I needed a fighting song for my chemo treatments. So here is my first attempt at cancer poetry -- with my apologies to my favorite poet, Emily Dickinson whose work I took the liberty to adapt... 

My Fighting Song for Chemo

My Life had stood - a Loaded Gun -
In Corners - till a Day
The Cancer passed - identified -
And carried My Breast away - 

And now in My Sovereign Body - Cancer may still sneak -
And now I hunt It like Doe -
And every time I speak at It -
My body straight replies -

And do I smile, such poisonous light
Upon the Valley glow -
It is as a Vesuvian face
Had let its pleasure through -

And when at Night - My good Hunt done -
I rest My weary Head -
'Tis better than the Eider-Duck's
Deep Pillow - to have shared -

To this foe of Mine - I'm deadly foe -
It won't stir the second time -
On whom I lay a Reddish Eye -
Or an emphatic Thumb -

Though I than It - will longer live
It longer wants - than I -
For I have but the power to kill,
And It lacks--the power to die--

3 comments:

Ken and Michelle said...

I like your budding poetic talents!!!

Ken and Michelle said...

My un-adapted poetic contribution...

:-)

Out of clutter, find simplicity.
From discord, find harmony.
In the middle of difficulty,
lies opportunity.

Albert Einstein

Michele said...

My favorite poems are probably not all that helpful here, but I like both of yours!