Thursday, June 4, 2009

So far, so good

I can feel the queasyness starting to build in my stomach, but so far the meds are keeping it at bay. We had dinner and I was ok. I am reallly surprised by how well I have tolerated my poison cocktail so far and hope that my luck continues. It seems a bit weird that the doctors cannot really predict who will react how to the meds as the reactions are too individual. Every body is different, and every body has a different way in which it processed the drugs. They're pretty potent stuff, but so far my body seems to be tolerating the chemical onslaught pretty well, for which I am very grateful. 

I have been warned, however, that the nausea may well be delayed and kick in tomorrow, when the drugs they pumped into me today have worn off. They do have meds for that, but since I'm a geek I couldn't resist taking part in two research trials, one for the delayed nausea, and one for the bone pain I might get from the Neulasta shot I will receive tomorrow that will boost my white blood cell count so I will actually survive this chemo.

Don't worry, I won't be getting any new and dangerous drugs. These trials are about established drugs that they give in new combinations, or for a new purpose. For one of them (bone pain,which apparently afflicts more than 60% of patients after the Neulasta), I may be receiving a placebo. In both studies, however, I am allowed to take "resuce medications," i.e. meds that fight the symptoms in case the experimental meds/dosages weren't enough. So I should be both safe and as symptom-free as modern pharmaceutics will be able to keep me.

These studies involve a bevy of questionnaires I need to fill out. The research nurse came and explained everything to me, which ended up taking up most of my actual chemo treatment. As a consequence, time almost flew by once we were in the treatment room. I didn't have time to watch Netflix, or surf much, or play the little paper Trivial Pursuit game my friends gave me (those are cool -- thanks so much!!! Actually, it just occurred to me that I didn't light my first chemenorah candle either... it's late now though, so I'll have to do that tomorrow to celebrate! Sorry...

It really wasn't that bad of a treatment. The nurse was very nice, the stick didn't hurt too badly, no allergic reactions, and the nausea isn't too bad so far. I even had the energy to go for a nice walk with DH and the dog . I'm a very happy camper.

As the poison courses through my veins, I imagine that it is killing all the cancer cells that are hiding within my body. It may be poison they're giving me, but the poison is my friend!

3 comments:

2L said...

HUGE congratulations - one down!!!!

RedSox said...

As much as I wanted to go on the trip and to leave Long Island for a little while, I'm sorry not to be there to talk and to see how you are doing with my own eyes. It is excellent, however, that I can keep up with you on your blog. Hopefully, the nausea is kept at bay throughout!! (It's Michele by the way - the whole using multiple logins is starting to become a problem!)

Noelle said...

Congratulations on having one round done! And I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the nausea stays away. The Idahoians around here might say that, perhaps, some form of potato might help.