Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Miracle babies here we come!

It's 4:40 a.m. right now, way before the crack of dawn. Even the doggie -- otherwise a big proponent of ball playing and other kinds of entertainment at odd times of the day -- is sleepy and wanting to go to bed. DH, my mom, and I, however, are up as DH and I will be once again venturing into the big bad city for my big egg-laying event of the day. I'm scheduled to check in at 6:45 a.m., with DH's presence required at 8:30 a.m. 

What a momentuous occasion -- we'll be making babies today!!! Well, technically we'll simply be providing the germ cells needed so the embryologists can do their magic and put some miracle babies on ice for us. 

And miracle babies they truly will be, as for years we didn't really have the chance to get there in the first place, even though we'd been wanting to have kids for a long, long, time. But they hadn't invented the fancy technology yet, that might finally get us a baby. So we outlasted the odds on that count at least, and we even skipped one surgery just about everyone thought we would need. So far so good!

I'm trying to imagine the stories I may tell our kid some day (and we'd be surprised and extremely, micraculously blessed to get more than one take-home baby out of this -- don't laugh, it's what they call them in the lingo of infertility... ) : "Listen, you were conceived on May 13, 2009, but you were born in 2013." "So I'm really four years older than I am, mommy???" All of this may take some explaining down the road. But then much of my life consists of odd detours that require extra explanations, so I suppose I'm just staying true to style here.

Anyway, here is to the hopeful surgery of the day. May it yield lots of good and mature little eggos, to be united with DH's good little sperms so we can have some frosties waiting for us down the road. Off to contribute our part to our potential future miracle babies now...

No comments: