Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Update -- lotsa eggos!

I'm back home again from egg retrieval and feeling pretty good. I'm barely loopy from the drugs any more, but I do have some cramping. It's nothing that a little acetaminophen wouldn't fix, though. So the rest of the day is reserved for resting, reading, and relaxing.

The day involved quite a bit of waiting, but went very well overall. The IVF center had pre-warned the nurses at the IVF surgery suite that my veins made me a tough customer. So they assigned an experienced nurse to me who got the IV line in at the wrist on first try. It was painful, but at this point, all of my veins in that arm are battered and sore. I survived, which is the main thing.

The retrieval itself went very well. Most of the time we spent was waiting to be called, as we had to be there by 6:45 a.m. although the actual retrieval didn't take place until 10:45 or so. The procedure itself was only about 15 minutes long, which I happily slept through. My recovery room stay only lasted 30 minutes or so. So we were back home by lunchtime.

The best news of the day I need to cackle about, however, is that they managed to retrieve SEVENTEEN eggs from me today. That's a LOT more eggos than we thought we would get. Granted, quite a few of these are bound to be immature, but still we hope to get a decent number of pre-embies to freeze!

We are supposed to get a call from the embryology lab tomorrow between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. to let us know how many eggs fertilized. So please keep your fingers crossed for us that the good news will continue and that we'll get plenty of miracle babies in-waiting that we can put on ice.

Now that I've laid all of these eggs, I'm wondering whether I'm technically a mother hen...

No comments: