Friday, May 22, 2009

Surprise!

Remember when I said on Wednesday that I imagined there would  be some misleading results from that pregnancy test that nurse D. ordered? Well, today was the day they finally confirmed my sneaking suspicion: Apparently, my HCG levels should be at 5 or below, but mine was at 8. My first positive pregnancy test -- yay!?

The only problem is, I am not really pregnant. I happen to know. Pretty much for sure. My HCG is elevated, because upon Doctor's orders, DH injected me with 10,000 IU of HCG little more than a week before that pregnancy test. And they are surprised that my HCG levels are still elevated a bit???

They broke the test results to me at 10 a.m. Friday morning. And the very apologetic, but also insistent F from surgical scheduling told me that I needed to obtain a note from my RE verifying that my HCG levels are abnormally high due to an IVF cycle. Oh, and to make the challenge more fun, I needed to get the note to them by 12 noon since they close early for the long holiday weekend. Oh the fun! So I dropped everything else I was doing ... and got on the horn. Luckily, Dr. S, my RE, was in the office (and not in surgery or anything) and willing to write me the note. Thanks so secretary B's quick and efficient help, I had my note within an hour. Still, to be sure I had them fax a copy not only to Dr. R's office, but also to myself. This way I will be able to carry a copy with me Tuesday morning when I go in for the surgery.

This little incident added quite a bit of excitement to my day. Actually, it was a bit more excitement than I really needed...

I spent the afternoon planting the window boxes for the deck with flowers. I needed some fresh air after the morning's unpleasant surprise. These kinds of things keep happening, and I need to learn how to face them with more serenity. I guess I just get really irked when they threaten to cancel my port surgery, as this would mean taking the chemo in one of the very battered veins in my right arm. If you could see my arm, you would know why...

Things I am particularly grateful for today: my darling husband, for sticking with me for better and for worse; my mom's cousin, who sent me a huge pack of lovingly chosen books to read; a beautiful and warm day full of sun and the joy of flowers.

2 comments:

2L said...

I wish I could figure out the serenity thing - I am still trying. I will humbly offer this quote that I keep on my kitchen table (which I periodically uncover when I try to clean the piles off the table...) :-)

"Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart." (Author unknown)

TNBCAmazon said...

Hi 2l,
The serenity thing IS a challenge, isn't it?! But I like your quote a lot! Thanks! :-)