Saturday, May 30, 2009

On the slow road to recovery

I needn't have worried about forcing myself to take it easy today. A serious case of post-surgery nausea took care of that for me. It started last night, and together with the effects of the antibiotic levaquin, which keeps me awake, got bad enough that I couldn't sleep all night long. So naturally, today was a slow recovery day for me as I battled more nausea. I can really feel this time that it is the second surgery for the week, and the fifth surgery in two and a half months. Turns out these things do not really get much easier the more often I do them... go figure.

Luckily, I managed to sneak some sleep into some not quite so nauseous time this afternoon. I've also been extra careful about what I eat, since I got really hungry  yesterday and probably ate more than I should have. So hopefully the nausea will have less of a hold on me tonight so that I can get some more much-needed rest. 

Today, my mom finished sewing two more chemo headcoverings for me. I also have fabric and sewing patterns for a bunch more, so I will be ready for chemo and its side effects. I just hope that they'll be able to control the nausea better during the chemo than they did after this last surgery... But I keep reminding myself that overall, things could be much worse. 

This evening I even had the energy to take a slow stroll around the block with DH, my mom, and the dog. It was really nice to see all those flowers in bloom. We also took a nice tour of our back yard and admired the many flowers that are springing up there in their early summer glory. One of my favorite roses called "Scentimental" is blooming already, and I enjoyed its spicy scent as I ambled by. I've always really enjoyed our back yard and all its flowers, but this year I am making sure to really stop to smell the roses. 

1 comment:

MYDEMS said...

Thanks for the reminder - we should all slow down and smell the roses!!