Sunday, August 9, 2009

STILL no CATscan...

Another day has come and gone, and still I didn't get the CAT scan. Apparently radiology did finally call for me, but complained that I had received food. In the absence of different doctor's orders, they insist in doing the scan after the patient has been NPO for a couple of hours. Of course my doctor left unreadable instructions (and of course, he cannot be reached over the weekend) -- even though I'm allergic to the contrast material. Besides, without being given a specific date and time for my procedure, how on earth can they expect me to remain NPO for almost TWO days???!!! This must be some sort of particularly cruel joke...

Thus I couldn't take advantage of the one opportunity for a CAT scan that radiology offered me. How frustrating... But what are they going to do? Give me the contrast material when they know (and I tell them) that I'm allergic to it? Yet another day wasted. And of course I ran a fever last night, and once again late this afternoon. The infectious disease people never even came by my bedside today. How very, very frustrating. 

At least I had the first real and delicious food since arriving at the hospital. Of course, this had nothing whatsoever to do with the food they serve here. Instead, my friend Starman was kind enough to make a delicious salad with mango, avocado, black beans, and a lime vinaigrette. It was full of healthy fiber, protein, and very very tasty. Now that's what I call food! The hospital food is either oversalted, undersalted and/or overcooked and overprocessed. You can probably tell I'm getting tired of all of this.

Hopefully, tomorrow will bring readable doctor's orders, a successful CAT scan without allergic incidents, and good test results. I'm surrounded by all these medical professionals, and nobody is able to give me a diagnosis? Come on, what's wrong with this picture? Maybe I'll need to have a contest between the different departments? Offer a prize? Start throwing hissy fits?

No comments: