Monday, August 24, 2009

Went to see the Poison Man

So today was my monthly appointment with the poison man. I was very glad to hear that he is ok with continuing my taxol, at least for now. In order to combat the allergy problems I have been experiencing during the previous rounds of taxol infusion, we will try IV steroids and benadryl, rather than the tablets they gave me before. Hopefully that will alleviate some of the issues I have been having with the infusion. 

As for the peripheral neuropathy, the tingling has actually gotten better over the last few days. That is a good sign, Dr. V says, as it indicates that it is merely a temporary side effect. Apparently it does put me at a higher risk of developing permanent side effects, but for right now that doesn't seem to be the case. I guess if and when it does happen they won't give any more taxol (which to me seem kind of like saying "oops" we missed -- sorry). But until then, I can continue to take the good poison as planned.

We also discussed some traveling plans with Dr. V, and he said he had no objections in principle. In preparation for travel he wants me to take a neulasta shot again this cycle, and he wants me to take along a "just in case" prescription of an antibiotic. Other than that, any travel will depend on how I feel. Judging from experience this does not bode so well for the first week after chemo, but may be a possibility during the second week. We'll just have to see how it all works out.

Other than that, I continue to feel stronger each day. I didn't get in quite as much walking today as I did yesterday, but instead I cooked up a bunch of crepes from that batter I made yesterday. I had forgotten just how easy to make yet delicious crepes are! We filled ours with Nutella and banana, which worked out quite well. They were yummy enough that I had to make two each for both DH and me -- and then DH mumbled something about "I bet those taste much better fresh..." -- so I went off and made him a third one for dessert (well, we did have a only a modest dinner of leftovers...), where I played with Nutella and blackberries. I guess chocolate spread goes well with many different kinds of fruits...

3 comments:

:) said...

Awesome good news all around!! That chocolate and fruit business sounds very...hm... enjoy!!!

Angela said...

Excellent news. I'm so happy to hear all of this. I'm off to MA on Friday, and hopefully we can get things set up so that you, NoL, and I can talk via Skype over the weekend or early next week when you begin to feel better. We'll be wanting to stop by during the first two weeks of classes if even for a few minutes just to say hi.

Daria said...

Sounds like things are going well ... good job.